SEO Web Design is a way of designing and developing websites for making them search engine friendly. SEO friendly usually means the search engines like Google may crawl each page on the website efficiently, interpret the content effectively, and index it in their database. Once indexed, they can then serve the most relevant and useful web pages to their own users based on the subjects they search for. The better the SEO strategies and the more backlinks, the better the chance of indexation and ranking on the first page of the search results.
Since, of the billions of people who use search engines every single day, less than 5% navigate past the first page of the Google SERPS, it is essential that you design and develop an SEO helpful website to increase organic traffic and earn 1st page rankings.
There is a running joke in the SEO community that states, “Where is the best place to hide a dead body? On the second webpage of search results. ” – SEO Practices
Below is a basic outline to help guide you when optimizing your new site for the search engines. There are two primary components to SEO web design strategies; On-Page Optimization, and Off-Page Optimization.
Part one: SEO Friendly On-Page Optimization
On-page optimization includes SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION strategies that are managed by the webmaster. These strategies play an important role in how the search engines like Google crawl and understand your content.
On-page Optimization Strategies Include:
- Conducting keyword research, choosing the right keywords and topics and using them in appropriate areas on the page.
- Using title tags, header tags, image alt tags, and the meta description label correctly.
- Creating a link structure which is optimized for users and search engines.
- Creating an internal hyperlink structure and navigation that helps the search engines crawl the particular website effectively and effectively, and aligns with your own user’s expectations.
- Creating excellent content that may be used to earn inbound links during off-page optimization strategies.
- Using multiple forms of content such as images, videos, lists, and text.
- Creating the responsive website design that delivers a great experience throughout devices.
- Designing a website that is visually appealing, represents your brand, and has a constant look-and-feel.
In order to dive deeper into on page optimization here are a few articles:
On-page optimisation Basics
Google SEO Tagging Best Practices
Part two: SEO Friendly Off-Page Optimisation
Off-page optimization means managing the execution of the marketing. This management results in earning links and social media mentions that can boost the authority of the website, resulting in an increase in SEO rankings and traffic.
Off-page Strategies Include:
- Analysing your competitors in order to better understand what techniques they may be using to rank in the Google search.
- Using keyword-rich anchor text.
- Earning inbound links from websites which usually are considered authoritative by the search engines.
- Earning links to content deep within your website.
White Hat and Black Hat SEO
SEO techniques can be divided into categories; white hat techniques, those that are acceptable by the search engines and are the recommended ways of improving rankings; the black hat techniques, those which are deceptive and cause penalties or being banned by the search engines.
White Hat Techniques
The above-mentioned methods are considered White Hat and add value to a website’s SEO, provide a great website design experience, and can increase rankings, traffic, and sales from Google and other search engines.
Black Hat Techniques
These Black Hat strategies were used in the past to achieve high rankings quickly. However, the search engines have updated their algorithms to identify such strategies and are constantly applying machine learning to reveal addition spam technique intended to manipulate the SERPS.
- Link farming
- Hidden content and links
- Keyword spamming
- Keyword Stuffing
- Article Spinning
- Use of the gateway and the mirror pages
- Hiding links on your own website
SEO Services Carried out Properly
When SEO is done properly and built into the web design process, SEO services will certainly add value to the website experience by making the website search engine-friendly, a better user experience, and greatly helping businesses achieve their online marketing objectives.
Learn more about exactly what it means to do SEO correctly.